Monday, May 26, 2014

All In Good Time

When I was in the MTC in Madrid, Spain in February 2000, my district and I went to a sword shop on one of our Pdays. It was a really cool shop and I actually wanted to buy a sword but a) didn't have the money and b) what would I do with a sword? They were so cool though. I found a knife that I knew my dad would love, so I bought it for him.


This was pre-9/11 so there weren't many restrictions with traveling with a knife - at least in my checked bag, and I carried it with me (not day-to-day stuff but) on all transfers for the next 17 months. I would take it out of my suitcase often to look at it and I was so excited to give it to my dad as soon as I got home. I was positive he would love it.



When it was time to fly home, I was a ball of emotions. I was so excited to get home - to see family and friends and do normal things, but was so sad to leave the Canary Islands and the life and family I had there. Plus, I loved being a missionary. Even though the work was super difficult, I loved the challenge and the blessings that came with it. With layovers and flying time, I travelled for a full 24 hours (Las Palmas to Madrid to New York to Salt Lake to Hailey, Idaho) and was beyond exhausted when I finally landed at home. My whole family was there and it was so great to see them.


I don't remember much of the first couple of days I was home. I have never been that exhausted. I do remember getting out all of the gifts I had brought home for my family and laying them out on the floor, excited to give them to each person. I quickly realized that I had forgotten to get my brother-in-law Craig anything, so I re-arranged stuff and ended up giving him the knife I had gotten for my dad.


What just happened?


He was so excited and has treasured that knife ever since. I gave my dad some stupid little box. I am not sad that Craig got the knife because he loves it but I have been sad - for 13 years that I gave my dad a stupid box. I haven't ever said anything about it but knew that I had to make it right...someday.



And that day was 2 days ago.



The stars aligned when Jordan and David announced that they were going to spend 5 weeks this Spring in Europe (I know, their lives are completely different than mine) and that Madrid was going to be one of their first stops. I immediately told them that I did not care how much is cost, but that they had to get a knife and send it to me so I could give it to my dad. Well, this beauty arrived a couple of days ago:



It's so pretty!


Jordan said she met the owner of the shop who had made this knife by hand. It's beautiful Spanish steel and fits in the leather pouch perfectly. I love it so much that I want to keep it!


I was so excited! My parents came to Utah this weekend so the timing was perfect. I gave it to my dad 2 days ago and he loves it. He even put it on his belt yesterday - just when we were at home. He's such a dork.







I am so glad it worked out. But, now Cade wants one so I'll have to remember that the next time I'm in Madrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment